It is true that there is a lot of aura surrounding Tamil Matrimony as the bride and groom prepare to untie after the conversations between both the families are complete. In fact, the people belonging to this community pay a lot of respect to the rituals before and after the wedding band each one of them is strictly held in the homes of the bride and groom. While there are a lot of rituals that are held before and during the wedding, the celebration of traditional elements continue after the wedding as well. The post wedding rituals are equally important as the ones that are held before and you ought to know about them as well to understand the spirit of the wedding.
- Exchange of gifts: This occasion is called Sammandhi Maryathai in which the families of the bride and groom exchange gifts just before the bride prepares to leave her paternal home. After offering prayers to the deity in the family, the bride bids adieu to her parents which is much similar to an emotional farewell.
- Reception ceremony: In the reception which is usually held after the completion of the wedding, the bride and groom are to take their seats that resemble the throne of the king and queen while the entire family is treated with a lavish feast. The food which is served to the guests is usually vegetarian and includes the traditional spread of this community. However, you can decide to include some of the menus that are vegetarian but modern. The décor and design of this occasion can be modern or traditional depending on the values and culture of both families but a combination of both is the flavour of the season of wedding.
- Blessings of elders: Before leaving her paternal home, the bride and the groom need to seek the blessings of the elders and this occasion is also called Paaladaanam. After this, the groom needs to escort the bride to the new house. As far as Tamil Matrimony is concerned, a lot of importance is given to each and very ritual whether before or after the wedding which makes each occasion beautiful.
- Welcoming the bride: Grihapravesham is an occasion which is held to commemorate the arrival of the bride in the house of the groom. In this ritual, the mother in law performs a small puja and aarti to welcome the bride and then she goes on to seek the blessings of the deity in the family.
- Breaking the ice: As part of the ritual which is called Valeyadal in which the bride is introduced formally to all the members in the family as she receives gifts from them. After this, a lot of fun games are played to bring the bride and groom close to each other which adds vigour to the occasion.
- Final ritual after wedding: This ritual is also called Maruvidu Varudal in which the bride and groom revisit the home of the bride and are treated with a delicious lunch. The parents of the bride offer gifts and jewellery to the couple and it marks the end of the formal wedding celebrations.
The post wedding rituals in the Tamil community is eye catchy and each of the ceremony has a different tone of celebration. It is no wonder that Tamil weddings are gorgeous and joyous for the families of the bride and groom.
Download the TamilShaadi app and find Tamil brides & Grooms using one of the best Tamil Matrimony app